Corporate Social Responsibility
Whether it is managing environmental impact or interacting with our customers, suppliers and employees, our commitment to responsible business practices is absolute.
Our focus on corporate social responsibility (CSR) forms part of our commitment to meet one of our core objectives: Sustainable profitability is fundamental.
CSR focuses on a number of initiatives; however the 3 core areas are:
- Environment: Taking steps to reduce our carbon footprint.
- Workplace: Providing a safe environment and treating employees fairly and ethically.
- Community: Giving Back, whether it involves giving money or time, we have a lot of resources that can benefit charities and local community programmes.
We recognise the importance of protecting the environment and actively working towards putting environmental sensitivity at the forefront of our business decisions and operations.
Some of our key environmental activities:
- We have obligations as a business to remove waste metal, wood, chipboard and WEEE waste in the appropriate manner.
- We operate a national office recycling scheme through Biffa. Staff use the waste stations around the building rather than under the desk bins. One bin for recycling (plastic, paper, card and tin) and the other for general waste.
- During 2019 Routeco waste material generated was 7% to landfill and 93% (21.14tonne) landfill diversion. Routeco segregate recyclables such as wood, metal, card, paper and WEEE.
- Over the last 6 years Routeco have reduced the electrical energy consumption in the Head Office site by 42% by implementing the following projects:
- Installation of Philips Coreline LED Panel recessed luminaires at Routeco’s head office and at over 80% of the branch locations is helping to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions. Click here to read more.
- In 2015 Routeco installed a new Daikin R410 air conditioning system with its Head Office, replacing the inefficient R22 gas solution.
- Lighting project in Milton Keynes Warehouse – 300Watt Metal Halide fittings installed when building was erected in 2000, have been replaced by Dialight LED High Bay light fittings. Lighting levels have been increased from 60-100lux to over 200 lux at floor level.
- Wherever possible we use second life or recycled packing materials.
- In 2019 Routeco introduced a 3in1 packaging box for shipping small components. Saving 1tonne void fill paper per month.
- Routeco are ESOS Phase 2 (2019) registered
- Routeco are working with Sonepar Sustainability Leadership Committee to calculate the CO2e tonne generated as a business and to identify a program of initiatives to reduce the emissions with the Paris Agreement targets in mind.
Please click here for further information on our environmental policy.
Routeco are a growing organisation whose vision for the future is to be both an employer of choice and partner of choice to our customers and suppliers.
We aim to provide an environment where staff are listened to, respected, congratulated, rewarded and helped to reach their full potential; providing excellence in all they do.
By providing this environment we hope to create the desire for our employees, customers and suppliers to choose Routeco to work with on a daily basis, building a sustainable business and providing security for our families and our community.
At Routeco one of our main strategic aims is “our people make the difference” by looking at ‘wellbeing’ as a key focus we are ensuring that we live by our aims and values. We have recently implemented Routeco’s wellbeing strategy which looks to address key health concerns, celebrate what we do well and look to implement new actions to improve the health and wellbeing of all employees such as line manager training, further giving-back focus and to ensure wellbeing is a daily consideration by all.
We have taken part in some amazing events for charity. These included:
- People across Routeco completed the Yorkshire Three Peaks challenge and raised and amazing £6,571 for MacMillan
- Our weekly dress down days have raised over £1,100 in 2019
- Milton Keynes Community Foundation - £5000 donation. the foundation helps to transform lives and strengthen communities working with vulnerable isolated and disadvantaged people across Milton Keynes
In 2019 we raised £3,707 for Parkinson’s UK. Associates across Routeco undertook the Parkinson’s Time to Run challenge, two teams were entered into the Woburn Triathlon and a number of fundraising events took place across Routeco including a fun day. The charity committee will be focusing all fundraising efforts over the next 12 month to help Alzheimer’s.
Routeco Volunteer Scheme
The Routeco volunteer scheme launched on Wednesday 1st March 2017 .
Routeco already support a number of charities on a national basis however the scheme will empower employees throughout the Group's network of 12 branches across the UK to focus on local charities important to them and their community.
Routeco will support and sponsor all employees to take a number of work days throughout the year to volunteer at local charity.
The volunteer scheme is not only a way of helping local communities but can also increase employee skill, knowledge and engagement.
Modern Day Slavery Act
Please click here for Routeco's modern slavery and human trafficking statement.